Using Outlook Desktop App
Here are the steps you need to follow to successfully book time on Biochemistry shared equipment:
1. Log into your MCW Outlook accounton the desktop app.
2. Enter the Calendar section
3. Right click on My Calendars (or a custom calendar group). Click "Add Calendar", select "From Address Book"
4. In the Search box type in the calendar name from the list at the bottom of these instructions. Click on your desired calendar name in the listing. Click OK.
5. Repeat for all calendars you wish to add.
Type in all or part of the following calendar names to search and add :
Biochem 1 - incubator 37C only
Biochem 2 - incubator
Biochem 3 - incubator
Biochem 4 - incubator
TBRC 1 - incubator 180 rpm MAX
TBRC 2 - incubator 180 rpm MAX
TBRC 3 Biochemistry incubator
CD (circular Dichroism)
Flex Station - Thing 1
Flex Station - Thing 2
To view a calendar and all of its bookings, you must select it to be displayed. Some versions of outlook calendar only allow for five calendar displays at a time. Be aware of this limitation and also which calendar you are viewing.
To reserve an instrument, click “New Event”. Under “Event” list your name and brief detail about your booking (for example, if booking a shaker, list "YourName - Temperature". Edit the fields for “Start” and “Duration” to span the time you are reserving the instrument. Include further relevant details in the text body (i.e., number of flasks in a shaker, your contact information). IMPORTANT: Make sure the correct calendar is selected and that you are not encroaching upon another person’s pre-existing signup or accidentally signing up with your personal calendar.
Important notes about this system:
1. Always be aware of which calendar you have selected while viewing or reserving an instrument. You must make the reservation using the instrument's calendar, NOT your personal calendar.
2. You may book a piece of equipment up to 6 months in advance and for a maximum of 120 consecutive hours.
3. All users of the shared calendar will be able to see the details of the booking. Important things to include in your booking are as follows: your name, the length of time you will need the instrument, your lab, a phone extension, and details about your experiment/shaker usage.
4. If you are having problems or want help figuring out this new system, Connie in the Biochem office or Sarah from the Smith lab in BSB 328 will help you.
5. Event reminders are enabled for this system; you can set the reminder to yourself to occur at a specified time point prior to your booking. You will not receive reminder emails for bookings other people have made on a shared calendar.
6. All of your Quartzy bookings should have been transferred over to the new system. However, you should DOUBLE CHECK to be absolutely certain.
© 2017 Brian Smith Lab
Department of Biochemistry
Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Rd,
Milwaukee, WI, 53226 | (414) 955-5659